(Best Syndication News) - Dr. Andrew Weil was a guest on today's ‘The Dr. Oz Show.’ He came on the TV show to listed some foods that help reduce inflammation. He also shared on supplements, foods, and products that could protect the brain, lungs, and heart. Dr. Weil is an author or several books including, "8 Weeks to Optimum Health: A Proven Program for Taking Full Advantage of Your Body's Natural Healing Power."
Dr. Andrew Weil is a physician. He said that he did not learn prevention in medical school. When he was getting older, he was not feeling so well, so he started to learn alternative medicinal treatments. He stopped eating meat, started meditating among other things, which had made him feel better. During his investigation into medicinal treatments worldwide, he found many great cures and some that were nonsense. When he shared what he learned with his colleagues, they did not share his enthusiasm. He calls the combined traditional medicine with alternative treatments and therapies integrated medicine. Dr. Weil’s integrated medicine will help people to learn to eat better and to handle stress. Dr. Weil explained that he hopes one day they drop the word integrative and just call it good medicine.
Dr. Weil said that optimum health happens when you can get through life without have allergic reactions or catching a germ when your body is exposed to them. He thinks that anti-aging is impossible and everything ages. He said that the goal should be how to maintain health and how to feel good inside.
The next segment of the show had Dr. Weil shared how we can protect our brain, lungs, and heart by eating certain foods, taking supplements, and using products.
Dr. Weil explains that the brain is the control center of everything. He said that the brain is very vulnerable to chemicals and infection. Dr. Weil recommended three things that may help protect the brain.
1. Eat Black Cod which is also called Butter fish or Sable fish. Dr. Weil said that this particular fish is a very good source of Omega 3 fatty acids and has more that salmon. Additionally, Black Cod is a sustainable fish that comes from Alaska. He said that a person needs a daily supply of Omega 3 fatty acid in the diet. He also suggested eating blueberries because it has antioxidants pigments in the food that is believed to protect the brain. Antioxidants protect the brain. He adds that it also may reduce the damage from a stroke.
2. Supplements that protect the brain is a combination Acetyl L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid. He suggests that these two supplements will help protect the health of the brain. It seems to turn on the growth factor in the brain added Dr. Oz.
3. Inflammation in the body can be created from eating foods that have been cooked with high temperatures, which causes pro-inflammatory responses. Dr. Weil said that steaming food would be better. Dr. Oz demonstrates with a torch on a pile of sugar how there is a chemical change that happens when heat is added. With the high heat, the food has been chemically changed. These are called AGEs – Advanced Glycosylated end products. These modified sugars would stick to these proteins and fats. Dr. Weil said not to cook the food so much as to brown it or make it black. Dr. Oz said that lemon juice or vinegar on the food could be helpful.
Dr. Weil then explained that the lungs brings in the oxygen and sends out the carbon dioxide. Lungs suffer the worst damage of air pollution that is in the environment. He suggests three things to help protect the lungs from damage and disease.
1. Eat foods rich in beta-carotene. But he said that the benefit is really the whole antioxidant family called Carotenoids, which is yellow, red, and orange pigmented vegetables and fruits. These antioxidants are also found in dark leafy greens Dr. Weil continued to explain. The reason is that these offer protective antioxidants that are beneficial for the lungs.
2. Dr. Weil said that the supplement, Zhu Ling, is a medicinal mushroom from China that is useful for reducing the risk of developing lung disease or lung cancer. He added that Zhu Ling is non-toxic.
3. The next product that will help protect lungs is to use a Hepa Air filter. HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air filter. The air passes through the Hepa filter taking out small dust particles. He suggests putting the Hepa filter appliance in the bedroom for anyone that has asthma or lives where there is smog, or lives with a smoker.
Dr. Weil explains that the heart pumps the oxygen and nutrition through the body. The heart is vulnerable to arterial disease and high blood pressure. He said that lifestyle choices can help with the heart.
1. Dr. Weil said to eat 1-2 cloves of garlic each day. He explains that garlic is good at lowering blood pressure and lowering blood cholesterol levels. Additionally, garlic can help to fight infections and cancer he says. However, the heart health benefits come from eating fresh raw garlic.
2. Next, Dr. Weil recommends taking a CoQ10 supplement, which he said, would increase the use of oxygen in cells. In order for the CoQ10 to be absorbed into the body, it needs to be taken with fat; so eat it with a meal said Dr. Weil.
Dr. Weill has an anti-inflammatory diet and it should be an eating plan for life. He said he created it based on the Mediterranean diet. He said that you should eat foods that reduce inflammation and can prevent diseases associated with inflammatory responses in the body.
1. He said to eat cooked Asian mushrooms such as Shitake, Maitake, Oyster, and Enoki eat as much as you want. He said that you should never eat mushrooms raw, because they are indigestible and are only have health benefits if cooked. Mushrooms are low in calories, high in protein, and have plenty of vitamins and minerals.
2. Eat 1-2 servings everyday of whole soy foods. Dr. Weil said that there should be no processed soy products such as fake meats or soy powdered drink products. He said to eat edamame, soy nuts, soy milk, and tofu, tempeh, and soy nuts. Dr. Weil said that the soy products might protect us from hormonally driven cancers such as breast or prostate cancer.
3. Eat 4-5 servings everyday of Cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables include cabbage, cauliflower, kale, bok choy, and brussel sprouts. These vegetables are believed to offer strong cancer protective properties he explains. The more you can eat of them the better.
4. Eat 5-7 teaspoons of healthy fats each day. He uses olive oil for most of his cooking. If he doesn’t want the taste of olive oil he will use canola oil. Other foods with healthy fats come from eating walnut oil, Hazelnut oil, hempseeds, and flaxseeds. Flax seeds have to be ground in order to get the health benefits. The hempseed is toasted. Whole eggs have the beneficial fats in the yolks and he thinks eating a whole egg once a day is fine.
5. Eat 2-3 servings of whole and cracked grains daily. He said that cracked and whole grain will digest slower and will not raise the blood sugar like when it is ground into a fine powder. Dr. Weil adds that the easiest way to lose weight is to cut our processed flour and sugar from the diet. He did say that you could eat pasta if it is cooked al-dente (not too soft) as it will digest slowly. However, he warned against eating too much pasta.
Important: The material on Best Syndication is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be advice. Authors may have or will receive monetary compensation from the company's product/s mentioned. You should always seek professional advice before making any legal, financial or medical decisions and this website cannot substitute or replace any trained professional consultation. Advertise On This Site
Use of this site means that you agree to our TERMS OF SERVICE
Copyright © 2006-2013 By Best Syndication All Rights Reserved
Important: The material on Best Syndication is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be advice. Authors may have or will receive monetary compensation from the company's product/s mentioned. You should always seek professional advice before making any legal, financial or medical decisions and this website cannot substitute or replace any trained professional consultation.
Advertise On This Site