Home  Top Stories  Sports  Entertainment  Health News  Business  Personal Finance 
Real Estate  Business Finance  Insurance  Consulting 
Tax News  Forum


 

Writers






 


Featured Articles







BUSINESS



 


 

 
Search:

 

 



List of Treatments for Baldness or Loss of Hair – Hair Transplantation Compared to Rogaine and Propecia – Depends on Cause of Alopecia

March 15th 2006

List of Treatments for Baldness or Loss of Hair – Hair Transplantation Compared to Rogaine and Propecia – Depends on Cause of Alopecia

Hair

There are several treatments for hair loss, including hair transplantation, over the counter and prescription drugs, ointments and creams.  Some people take no action to hide or treat their hair-loss while others may take minor steps like wearing a hat or wig, changing their hairstyle, and makeup. Both men and women can experience hair loss.

There are some other steps that can be taken including drugs and surgery.  You may want to talk to your regular doctor before you seek a specialist. They may have talked to others and may have recommendations for alopecia (another term for hair loss). 

There are two types of alopecia.  The first condition, androgenetic alopecia or pattern baldness, affects one third of men and women.  Typically, it is permanent, and you may experience hair loss as early as your teens.  This hair loss begins at the temple or crown of your head and the end result could either be partial or complete baldness.

 

Alopecia areata is another condition that can be temporary.  It can occur on the scalp or elsewhere on the body and is characterized by small bald patches.  These patches are usually smooth patches anywhere on the body.

Your scalp hair may be in one of two stages.  About 90% of the scalps are in a two to six year growth phase called anagen.  The other 10% may be may be in a two to three month resting phase called telogen.  After this telogen phase the hair is shed.  Most people naturally shed about 50 to 150 hairs per day, and once the hair is shed the growth stage (or phase) begins again from the same follicle.  Typically hair grows in length about ˝ inch per month.

 

Baldness occurs when the rate of shedding exceeds the rate of re-growth, or when the new hair is thinner than the hair shed.  The hair may also come out in patches.

Androgenetic alpecia is a hereditary condition.  Alopecia areata may be classified as an autoimmune disease.  Of course, alopecia areata can have genetic component as well that can be “triggered” by a virus or other environmental condition. .The hair will usually grow back with alopecia areata. 

There are some simple things that can cause temporary hair loss including:

 

Poor nutrition

Diabetes, lupus and thyroid disorders

Medications for gout, arthritis, depression heart problems and blood pressure and birth control pills

Chemotherapy

Fevers, flu or surgery may cause loss three or four months later

Newborns can also lose their hair. 

Women during childbirth

Hair tinting, bleaching, straitening and perm treatments

Scalp infections like ringworm

There are treatments for balding.

Baldness, whether permanent or temporary, can't be cured, but they can be treated. 

Continued on Next Page - Treatments

Comment on this Article at our Forum

Submit your own Article

Cosmetic Procedures Special Topic

  RSS Feed to Cosmetic Procedure News

  RSS Feed to our health News

  RSS Feed to all of our News

Add to Google Add to My AOL
Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Pluck RSS reader
Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Add this feed to Your C-Net
 

By Dan Wilson
Best Syndication
 

 Books on Cosmetic Surgery

Keywords and misspellings: cosmetic sergery sergury whitining teath briter teeth smil whitinning home kits how to whitin tooths


Google
 
Web BestSyndication.com

About   Contact   site map

Copyright 2005 Best Syndication                                            Last Updated Saturday, July 10, 2010 09:50 PM